Adel M. Alimi (IEEE Student Member’91, Member’96, Senior Member’00). He graduated in Electrical Engineering in 1990.
He obtained a PhD and then an HDR both in Electrical & Computer Engineering in 1995 and 2000 respectively.
He is full Professor in Electrical Engineering at the University of Sfax, ENIS, since 2006.
He is founder and director of the research REGIM-Lab. on intelligent Machines.
Prof. Alimi research interests include:
- iBrain (Evolutionary computing, Swarm intelligence, Artificial immune systems, Fuzzy Sets, Uncertainty analysis, Fractals, Support vector machines, Artificial neural networks, Case Based, Reasoning, Wavelets, Hybrid intelligent systems, Nature inspired computing techniques, Machine learning, Ambient intelligence, Hardware implementations, Multi-Agent Systems, iRobotics, Multi-Robots, Autonomous Robots)
- iPerception (Classification, Classifiers Combination, Features Extraction, High Dimension Classification Problems, Handwriting Recognition, Handwriting Modeling, Motor Control, Perception, OCR, Arabic Script, Historical Documents Analysis, iDocument,
- iVision, Remote Sensing, Affective Computing) & iData (Big Data, iWeb, Biometry, Data Mining, Web Mining, Cloud Computing).
Prof. Alimi volunteered for several academic, research, and scientific structures and associations:
- REGIM Research Laboratory (LR11ES48): Research Groups in Intelligent Machines, founder and chair since January 1997, ENIS, University of Sfax, Tunisia, 60 faculty members & 60 PhD students.
- Tunisian Section of IAPR (Int.Association for Pattern Recognition), founder and chair since 2014.
- Scientific Association for Supporting Research and Technological Innovation:ASARIT, founder and chair since 2006.
- Scientific Association Sustainable Innovation@Tunisia), founder and chair since 2011.
- University Chair of Innovation (UNCHAIN-Sfax) of the University of Sfax, Tunisia, founder and chair (2010-2011).
- MIRLabs: Machine Intelligence Research Labs (Member of the Board of Governors, 2011-Now)
Prof. Alimi Scientific Production :
- List of publications: http://adel.alimi.regim.org/
- ISI Thomson h index=12, Total Papers=243, Citations=843
- Scopus h index=18, Papers (Journals=87, Conference=307), Citations=1706
- Google Scholar h index=26, Papers (Journals=87, Conference=420+), Citations=3984
- 20+ chapters in edited scientific books
- 6 special issues editions of international scientific journals
- 56 PhD Thesis defended
- 20 Tunisian patents
- 22 international scientific projects (total budget: 1161.1 k€, 20.6 k$CAN, 67 kTND)
Prof. Alimi managed funds for:
- 22 international scientific projects (total budget: 1161.1 k€, 20.6 k$CAN, 67 kTND).
- several national scientific projects (total budget: 760+ kTND).
Prof. Alimi volunteered for many IEEE structures:
- Senior Member (2000-Now)
- Member (1996-2000)
- Student Member (1991-1996)
- IEEE Region 8:
- Conference Coordination Subcommittee (Chair 2015-Now)
- IEEE Societies:
- Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society:
- Technical Committee on Computational Intelligence (Member, 2015-Now)
- Technical Committee on Computational Cybernetics (Member, 2015-Now)
- Technical Committee on Distributed Intelligent Systems (Member 2010-Now)
- Technical Committee on Computational Collective Intelligence (Member 2010-Now)
- Technical Committee on Soft Computing (Member 2009-Now)
- Corresponding Member in the IEEE Committee on Earth Observation (2009-2011)
- Computational Intelligence Society:
- Technical Committee on Fuzzy Logic (Member, 2015-Now)
- Technical Committee on Neural Networks (Member, 2015-Now)
- Technical Committee on Data Mining and Big Data Analytics (Member, 2015-Now)
- Technical Committee on Evolutionary Computation
- Member (2015-Now)
- Task Force on Education (Chair, 2011-2013)
- Computer Society:
- Student Award Committee (Member, 2012-Now)
- IEEE Tunisia Section:
- Treasurer (2009-2010)
- National committee for the creation of the IEEE Tunisia Section (Coordinator 2000-2008)
- Sfax Subsection (Founder in 2010, Chair 2010-2014)
- Intelligent Transportation Systems Society (Founder in 2015, Chair 2015-2016)
- Robotics and Automation Society (Chair 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (Chair 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Industry Applications Society (Secretary 2013-2014, Treasurer 2015-2016)
- Education Society (Vice-Chair 2013-2014, Chair 2015-2016)
- Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society (Founder in 2011, Chair 2011-2012, Treasurer 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Computer Society (Chair 2010-2011, Vice-Chair 2013-2014, Chair 2015-2016)
- Computational Intelligence Society (Founder in 2009, Chair 2009-2010, Treasurer 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society (Founder in 2009, Chair 2009-2010, Chair 2013-2014, Vice Chair 2015-2016)
- Joint Chapter of the Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society / Robotics and Automation Society (Founder in 2009, Chair 2009)
Prof. Alimi served as:
- Expert evaluator for Quality Assurance and Accreditation projects.
- Expert evaluator for several European and International research projects (FP7-ENPI-CMCU-ALECSO).
- Expert evaluator for the several Tunisian juries for recruitment of professors.
- Consultant for several Tunisian committees.
- Associate editor and member of the editorial board of several international scientific journals (IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Pattern Recognition Letters, NeuroComputing, Neural Processing Letters, International Journal of Image and Graphics, Neural Computing and Applications, International Journal of Robotics and Automation, International Journal of Systems Science, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Journal of Universal Computer Science).
- Guest editor of several special issues of international journals (Fuzzy Sets & Systems-Soft Computing-Journal of Decision Systems-Integrated Computer Aided Engineering-Systems Analysis Modelling and Simulations).
- Co-Chair of several international conferences: ICDAR’15, INNS-BigData’15, SOLI’15, SoCPaR’14, ICALT’15&’14&’13, ICBR’13, HIS’2013, IAS’13, ISI’12, NGNS’11, LOGISTIQUA’11, ACIDCA-ICMI’05, SCS’04, ACIDCA’2000.
Prof. Alimi received:
- IEEE Awards:
- Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the Tunisia Computer Society Chapter, 2010-2012
- Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the Tunisia Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society Chapter, 2011-2012
- Outstanding Branch Counselor for the IEEE ENIS Student Branch, 2011
- Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the Tunisia Computational Intelligence Society Chapter, 2009-2010
- Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the Tunisia Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society Chapter, 2009
- Appreciation for contributions as Chair of the Tunisia Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society Chapter, 2009
- Outstanding Award for the establishment project of the Tunisia Section, 2008
- Appreciation and Recognition of contribution towards establishing IEEE Tunisia Section, Edinburgh, UK, 2001
- Appreciation and Recognition of contribution towards establishing IEEE Tunisia Section, Cairo, Egypt, 2000
- INNS Awards
- International Neural Network Society (INNS) Award for contribution on Neural Networks, 2008
- Tunisian Awards
- Tunisian Presidency Award for Scientific Research and Technology, 2010
- Tunisian National Order of Merit, at the title of the Education and Science Sector, 2006